FAQ Help Center
Welcome to the ‘Family on Bikes’ FAQ section! Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions about our travel blog. From how to plan a family bike trip to how to stay safe when biking with kids, we’ve got you covered. So read on for all the information you need to plan your next family biking adventure!
I’m thinking of taking a solo trip. Where do I begin?
Ask yourself “What do I want to get out of this trip?” Are you looking for relaxation, adventure, culture or something else? Once you figure out what you want to get out of your trip, start researching destinations that meet your criteria. Look for reviews and recommendations from people who have already visited the places you’re considering. Consider the costs, safety, and other practical factors. Once you make a decision, book your flights and accommodations, and start planning the activities you want to do.
Yes, it is safe to travel as a solo female traveler. However, it is important to take precautions to ensure your safety. Research the destination you are visiting and take the necessary steps to protect yourself, including carrying a whistle, staying in well-lit areas, and avoiding dangerous situations. Additionally, make sure to let family or friends know when and where you are travelling so they can keep track of your whereabouts.
There are many ways to connect with other female travelers. Consider joining an online forum or Facebook group specifically dedicated to female travelers. You can also look for local meet-ups or join a travel-specific social networking site like “Women Who Travel.” Additionally, you may find other female travelers on travel blogs, social media groups, and even by simply asking people you meet while traveling.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Reach out to locals – Connecting with locals is one of the best ways to make friends when traveling. Ask around for recommendations on the best places to go, explore, and eat and be sure to strike up conversations with people you meet along the way.
- Join a tour – Joining a tour or local event is another great way to meet like-minded people who share your same interests and passions.
- Use social media – Social media is a great way to connect with people in the area who might be interested in showing you around. Try joining relevant Facebook or Instagram groups, or use online travel forums to meet like-minded people.
- Attend meetup events – If you are looking for a more organized way to meet people when traveling, consider attending meetup events. These events usually take place in a public space, like a bar or cafe, and are a great way to meet people with similar interests.
- Be open and friendly – Above all, be open and friendly when traveling. Showing genuine interest in the people and culture around you will help build relationships and make friends more easily.
This is a decision that only you can make. Consider the benefits of studying abroad and determine if it is something that would be of value for you. Consider carefully the cost of the study abroad program, the language and cultural barriers that may exist, and the amount of time and effort it will take to complete the program. Once you have weighed these factors, you can make an informed decision and decide if studying abroad is the right choice for you.
I use a variety of travel websites for trip planning, including TripAdvisor, Expedia, Skyscanner, Kayak, and Travelocity.
I use the Flightradar24 app for flight tracking.
When travelling abroad, it is important to purchase adequate health and travel insurance. This insurance should cover medical expenses, lost baggage, trip cancellation, and other unexpected expenses. It is best to research different insurance providers and read the policy details carefully to ensure that the coverage is sufficient for the type of travel you are undertaking. Before purchasing any insurance, it is important to double-check with your home health insurance provider to determine what is and is not covered. Additionally, it is important to make sure that the insurance company is reputable and will cover any medical expenses if you need to make a claim.
The following steps can be taken to prepare for long-haul flights:
- Choose comfortable clothing: Wear comfortable clothing such as loose-fitting clothes, layers and shoes that are easy to take off and put on.
- Pack items for entertainment: Bring books, magazines, music, and a tablet or laptop with movies to stay entertained during the flight.
- Bring snacks and drinks: Pack snacks and drinks to avoid getting hungry and thirsty during the flight.
- Get enough sleep: Try to get a good night’s sleep before the flight to have enough energy to get through the flight.
- Bring a neck pillow: Use a neck pillow to keep your head and neck supported during the flight.
- Stretch your legs: Get up and move around the cabin every few hours to stretch your legs and stay refreshed.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water during the flight to stay hydrated and prevent dehydration.
- Use earplugs: Use earplugs to block out noise and help you sleep during the flight.
Just some food for thoughts:
- Become a Freelance Worker: One of the easiest ways to make money while traveling is to become a freelance worker. You can find work in a variety of fields, such as writing, graphic design, web development, and photography.
- Become a Virtual Assistant: Many businesses need help running their day-to-day operations, and they’re often happy to hire remote workers. You can find these jobs online and apply for them from anywhere in the world.
- Teach English Online: If you’re a native English speaker, you can easily find online jobs teaching English to students from all over the world. This is a great way to make money while also helping others learn a new language.
- Rent Out Your Home: If you’re going to be away for an extended period of time, consider renting out your home to make some extra cash. You can list your property on sites like Airbnb or VRBO and start earning money right away.
- Become a Tour Guide: If you’re familiar with the area you’re visiting, you could become a tour guide and show visitors around. It’s a great way to make some money while also helping others explore the city.