I love connecting with other moms who bike. I love how we all have our own, distinct reasons for spending time on the bike. Today, I would like to introduce you to Rima Gerhard, a Florida mom who uses her bike as her primary means of transport. Here are Rima’s top reasons for choosing a bike.
Let me start with a disclaimer.
I have not cycled over 27,000 miles.
I’ve only visited a few countries in my life and cycled in just a small subset of those.
I’m usually transporting just myself, my toddler, and a few bananas or a load of bread.
And yet – even with such a “limited” cycling background compared to the inspiring and exotic adventures documented here by Nancy, I feel that the benefits derived from my everyday biking are so enormous that I cannot help but sharing them with everyone.
Here are my Top Ten Reasons for becoming a Bicycle Mom, who doesn’t necessarily bike through Zimbabwe, but navigates the jungle of our modern cityscapes to get her everyday stuff done.
1) Save Money. You won’t need a car since you have a bike. That means, no gas, and no car insurance either! Lots of money you can instead invest into something better, like for example your next biking adventure to Israel!
2) Get Fit. Not only are you riding around your butt, but baby’s butt too! And baby’s butt keeps getting heavier…while yours is getting fitter and leaner each day. Isn’t that an awesome trade-off? Oh, and it’s free, so you won’t need to buy a gym membership to sit on a boring stationary bike for 30 minutes when you can just head out on the road with baby.
3) Relax. Baby loves to ride a bike. Lots of stuff to look at. Lots of fresh air. No need to throw tantrums, and baby might just be so relaxed that she’ll even nap.
4) Get To Know Your Town. Sometimes our own towns are as foreign to us as a city on the other side of the world. What’s down this street, beyond that bridge? It’s easy to explore when you don’t have to worry about not finding a parking spot.
5) Make People Smile. Every. Single. Person. I meet. Every. Single. Day. No matter who we come across, no matter the age, color, or nationality. Simply Everyone loves to see a smiling (or sleeping, see point 3) baby on a bike!
6) Bond With Your Kids. You can talk to kids, point out things you encounter along the ride. They won’t be glued to a DVD playing in the back of your minivan. Mine likes to sing when we ride around.
7) Get some Vitamin D. I never liked giving my baby sugary Vitamin D drops. Instead, we head out and get some natural Vitamin D. Oh, that’s free also, so you’ll save money again
8) Make Friends. Before you know it, other bicycle families on the playground (and the Internet ;)) will become your ride-along buddies. Your babies make friends and you get to share with a new friend rather than sitting by yourself, frustrated in a traffic jam. Everyone wins!
9) Inspire. My mother was the one who inspired a lifelong love of the bicycle in all her 5 children. All of us went on to raise our children in the exact same way. I hope her grandchildren will follow in her footsteps.
10) Save Planet Earth. Isn’t that a lofty goal to have? No but seriously, instead of polluting the environment with a gas guzzling minivan, you’re out there riding on nothing but your own muscle power. Mother Nature will thank you for it!
….Aaaand my own, personal, TOP REASON for being a bicycle mom is seeing THIS every day:
Rima Gerhard and her baby explore the world from the seats of a bike. She pedals, the baby waves. She honks, the baby squeals. She yells at cars, the baby sings and babbles. They may not have a big house with a garden, or a fancy fast car, but they get around a lot and are usually met with smiles. On a typical day, they ride to a couple of playgrounds, go shopping at the local supermarket, and meet friends at the park. Bicycle baby has been riding a bike since before she was born, which might explain why she loves it so very much. You can follow Rima and her Bicycle Baby at Bicycle Mama.