I had the honor and privilege of working with author and blogger Lorilee Lippincott on her new book: You Can Do It Too: 25 Homeschool Families Share Their Stories. The book is a series of interviews with 26 (I know it says 25 but there are really 26) families on what homeschooling really looks like for them.
The book covers such questions as:
- Why do you homeschool?
- When you started, what did you know about
- What were your concerns starting out?
- What does your typical school day look like?
- How do you find what to teach?
- What do your kids think?
These families share it all – the mountaintop experiences and the valleys. The times when we are convinced homeschooling is the best thing in all the land, and the times when we’re ready to throw in the towel.
You Can Do It Too won’t “tell you what is best for you or your kids because we don’t know you or your options.” The goal of this book is to let you see the nuts and bolts of what homeschool is and make sure you know it is an option for you.
The Book Contributors
What I really love about this book is that it shows – in a very real way – just how different “homeschool” looks in different families. For us, as we traveled on our bikes and now that we’re home in Idaho, homeschooling looks very different from another family. Some contributors have been homeschooling for many years and have their approach well-developed, some of us aren’t quite so organized. We are all real parents with real kids showing what real homeschooling looks like for us.
Contributors in the order they appear in the book:
- Kristen – The Frugal Girl
- Lee Binz – The HomeScholar
- Nancy Sathre-Vogel – Family on Bikes
- Natalie Klejwa – Visionary Womanhood
- Carlie Kercheval – So You Call Yourself A Homeschooler
- Lorilee Lippincott – Loving Simple Living
- Elizabeth Schmidtberger – The Hesitant Housewife
- Jill Britz – Tiny and Small
- Stephanie Langford – Keeper of the Home
- Heidi Scovel – Mt. Hope Chronicles
- Heather Sanders – OMSH
- Wendy Hilton – Homeschooling Blessings and Hip Homeschool Moms
- Teri Helms – TommyMom
- Tabitha Philen (Penny) – Meet Penny
- Bambi Moore – In the Nursery of the Nation
- Marcy Crabtree – Ben & Me
- Carisa Hinson – 1+1+1=1
- Joy Miller – Five J’s
- Megan Spires – House of the Rising Sons
- Toni Anderson – The Happy Housewife
- Mandi Ehman – Life. Your Way
- Danielle Zigmont – Organizational Hysteria
- Kerry Beck – How To Homeschool My Child
- Nicole – By Word of Mouth Musings
- Kelly – Generation Cedar
- Leo Babauta – Zen Habits
If you would like to read more information about each of the contributors, you can visit the official You Can Do It Too! site.
I am truly honored to be a part of this book with so many other inspirational families. Homeschooling isn’t for everyone, and there are as many ways to homeschool as there are families wanting to do it. This book will show you the nitty-gritty of what some of us are doing with our children in the hopes that it will help you see that it’s an option for you as well.
You Can Do It Too! is currently only available in electronic format. A print version should be available in a few months.
This book is a great deal at only $9.99! There are over 250 pages of wisdom here from 26 families. If you are even remotely considering homeschooling, this would be a great resource.