It’s ready! What Were We Thinking? Bicycling the Back Roads of Asia is now available on Kindle. The paper copies are on their way to our house now and will be shipped as soon as we get them.
What Were We Thinking? is the tale of my and John’s bike trek around Pakistan, India, Nepal, and Bangladesh back in 1990/91. We were strangers when we arrived into Pakistan, got engaged six months later, and were married upon our return to the USA.
Nancy and John arrived in Pakistan with little more than bikes and dreams. The ensuing year found them pedaling remote pathways of Asia, over mountains and through deserts, dodging traffic, holy cows – and the occasional rock thrown at them from a cliff by hostile locals.
They explored back roads and tiny villages rarely exposed to western eyes and, after being amazed, repulsed, delighted, shocked, horrified, amused and welcomed by people of many races, these strangers in a strange land melded into the cultures they encountered… and fell in love, both with the beauty of the lands they traveled and, ultimately, with each other.
Join Nancy and John as they wonder what they were thinking as they:
- experience the traditional hospitality of families of various religions
- are stranded at 15,000 feet in the Himalayas
- sleep with holy rats in a temple
- smell, hear, and see funeral pyres on the Ganges River
- are mobbed like rock stars in Bangladesh
- fend off inappropriate and unwanted romantic advances from men
- are swept away in markets frozen in a time long ago
- learn that underneath the cultural traditions, people are pretty much the same everywhere