The Final Push

It’s time – time for that final push to the end of the world.  We have a mere 600 kilometers (350 miles) left to pedal; 7 – 10 cycling days left of our journey.  We’re taking off today.

We now have tickets home – thanks to Anne, a friend who offered to get them for us using her frequent flier miles.  We are so incredibly grateful for her kindness – one more Road Angel who has stepped up and added magic to our journey.  We fly out of Buenos Aires on April 3 and will arrive into Boise on April 4.  It feels so definite.  So finished.  Until we had those tickets, it wasn’t quite real.  Now it is.

So we’ll push on – taking our time and enjoying these last few days of our adventure. We’ll play and smell the roses.  We’re in no hurry.

From here in Rio Gallegos, we’ll first cross the border into Chile about 75 km away.  Then a short distance after that, we’ll take a ferry across the Straights of Magellan to the island of Tierra del Fuego.  We’re not sure what’s there, but we’ll take plenty of time to see what there is to see.

Time is marching on and April 3 will be here before we know it.

In case you’re wondering…  Our future plans include at least a 6-month stay in Boise while we reevaluate and decide what we want to do next.  We can, quite literally, do anything – so narrowing it down to only one thing won’t be easy.  Our options include:

• Continue traveling
  • Stay in Boise forever and ever
  • Move to another location – maybe in the USA, maybe other country
  • Travel part time – maybe 6 months travel/6 months home? Home base => where?

Sometimes I wish someone would step up and make the decision for us – it would be so much easier!

14 Responses to The Final Push

1. Melanie @TravelToast.com March 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

Completely in awe that you are finishing up this journey. You are affecting so many families in positive ways by sharing your story. How many will be encouraged, empowered by this? Many, myself included!

2. Carla March 8, 2011 at 5:23 pm #

I can’t believe you are almost done. I found your site off a link from the CNN site a long time ago. Although I have occassionally fallen behind I have stayed pretty current with you on your journey. I am so jealous and wish I had the guts to do something like this. I love to travel and see the world but cannot imagine taking the big leap. I’m looking forward to following you daily on the last days of your journey and seeing the incredible photos and living a little through you and your family. Good luck and stay safe!

3. Deb March 9, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Well…if you’re taking votes on what you should do next I vote for 6 months of travel, 6 months at home :) That’s my idea of a perfect world…sigh…maybe someday :)

4. Anis Salvesen March 9, 2011 at 11:10 am #

How exciting! And it’s wonderful news about your latest Road Angel, Anne. I am constantly happily surprised by the generosity of other people.

Good luck on the last leg of your trip! I can’t wait to find out what you guys are up to next, as I am confident it will be a great next chapter for you all.

5. Carolyn March 9, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Just wanted to say WOW! You guys are amazing! I have been following your journey since the beginning and have loved every click to your blog. Good luck in the last few days. Life will fall into place after your return to the U.S. I am sure. WAY TO GO VOGELS!
    :-)

6. Wilma in WV March 9, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Have you biked the eastern part of the US? We’d love to have you come to West Virginia amd enjoy our beautiful, if rugged, state. We have mountains (nothing as high as the Rockies or the Andes) and valleys galore. We live in the very southern part of the state where there is some of the best white water rafting in the country. W’d love to meet you and even stay with us.

This final leg of your journey is both exciting and sad. I’m sure it will take time to debrief, but I have a feeling you’ll be planning another trip of some kind.

Blessing for all of you.

7. cagey March 9, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

I vote for “writing a book”. I just came across this blog today and have to resist the urge to start at the beginning of your archives. :-)

Can’t wait to read more of your adventures. How inspiring!

8. Laraba March 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

Wow, your so close! Good luck!

9. Josh March 10, 2011 at 12:34 am #

Whatever you do, please leave this website up so that people can continue to learn/benefit from it!

10. Marcia March 10, 2011 at 3:53 am #

Woe is me…what will I do every morning when I can no longer check to see where you are and what you are doing. I started following your adventures during the US/Mexico trip. I can’t believe how the boys have changed. Is there a way to stay in touch? Happy trails…

11. Rebeka March 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

I would love to see you guys maybe to Italy or France. Tour all the neat history in Europe by bike. I love reading about your guys adventures. I check the blog daily!

12. Bocas Chick March 10, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

This is a very inspiring family adventure! I hope you will finish each and every journey safely. Keep us updated and more photos please :)

13. Robert S. March 11, 2011 at 12:34 am #

Wow, the end, I don’t want it to be over! Thank you so much, for all the effort you put into sharing every turn of the pedals with us!

I love travel blogs, and told from the viewpoint of you and the boys, the adventure was that much more real. I just visited Costa Rica summer of ’10, so I could relate to a lot of your observations.

Next step? I vote for stay in one place for a good while, but outside the U.S.! The whole planet is our shared home!

14. David Le March 11, 2011 at 11:35 am #

Hi Vogels, I’ve been following you since British Columbia and enjoyed it immensely. Got my wife hooked on you too. My vote is to keep on traveling because what am I going to do at work? Uh oh, here’s comes the boss. Bye and congrats!