Bits and Pieces

Just a few little things to post here, so I’ll make a bizarre post with all of them!

• The first is that we’re almost there!  ALMOST THERE!!!  At this point, we are planning to arriving into Ushuaia MONDAY AFTERNOON!  If you have any contacts with the local press, please inform them that we’ll be reaching the finish line!
  • We’ve had a great stay here in Rio Grande and it looks like the bad weather has passed on.  We’ve got bright blue skies today and are hoping for the same tomorrow when we hit the road.
  • I’ve got an interview lined up with CNN for this afternoon – will let you know if/when I find out when it will air.

A few months ago, I did an interview with Career Break Secrets.  They just reposted the interview  now that we’re nearly there.  As I read through it, there were a few parts that really stood out – I especially like this part:

What have the boys taught you about travel during the journey?

I think a better question is what haven’t they taught me??  I have learned so much from them – kids make the best travelers!  The most important thing I’ve learned from them is to not cry about things that you have no control over – it won’t change anything. When we were in northern Peru, we went through a very tough period.  I felt like Peru was beating me down – kicking me and spitting on me and leaving me for dead.  I was down, down, down – ready-to-throw-in-the-towel down.  One day I was walking the streets of Trujillo with the boys and complaining about everything.  Daryl said, “Why bother complaining, Mom?  You won’t change anything.  All you can do is keep going and it’ll get better eventually.”  Such wisdom from a 12-year-old.

10 Responses to Bits and Pieces

1. George F. Cicotte March 17, 2011 at 10:30 am #

Two comments:

1. Your son is wise beyond years; and

2. I can sympathize with you about Trujillo. When I was there in 1987, the group I was traveling with dubbed it “TrueHellHole”.

2. Tee March 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

So hard to believe this journey is almost over. I have followed you from the very beginning and now I am wondering if I will be going through withdrawal when I won’t be traveling vicariously? I am so very impressed! Tee

3. Lianne March 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm #

Congrats, Vogel family! Looking forward to hearing how it actually feels to finish on Monday. Hurrah!

4. Evelyn March 17, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

Congrats, Vogel family! It has been wonderful to follow your adventure for 33 months. What an exciting time.

5. Hans March 18, 2011 at 2:49 am #

Wow, I wish I could be in Ushuaia on Monday and cheer you on during the last few feet of this epic journey! But I guess my ‘Tweetbox’ will be running red hot instead.

6. Bluegreen Kirk March 18, 2011 at 6:17 am #

The truth and innocence of children. They want to have fun and live for the moment. You can learn so much from children if people only paid attention.

7. Jonathan March 18, 2011 at 6:56 am #

Clear sky and wind at your back,
    You are nearing the end of your track.
    Clear sky and wind at your back,
    Memories on memories for your pack.

The sum of the distance you’ve gone –
    exceeds the miles you have rolled upon.
    Willing sharing your tour from the front,
    you did the pedaling and took the brunt.
    Thanks for -To there and back agains,
    Thanks for taking along us – friends!

8. Wilma in WV March 18, 2011 at 8:57 am #

Thank you Jonathan for such an approproiate poem. Vogels, enjoy it. I sure did!

9. Alan & Wendy March 19, 2011 at 1:35 am #

Congratulations in advance for achieving your tremendous goal. We met you at the ACA office in Missoula when we were doing our trans-am on a tandem and have been following you since. We are going to miss your reports.All the best for the future.

10. Bina March 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

Congratulations on being so close to completing your journey. Our family has followed you from the beginning, and it has been wonderful to ‘join’ you on an adventure we would otherwise never have been able to experience. It is an amazing thing you have done, both the journey itself and the opportunities you have given your sons. Thank you for sharing it with us.