How can you live your dream?

How does one go about living their dream? How do you make the decision to buck the traditional demands of society to live that dream that’s been floating around in the back of your mind?  How do you go about throwing away everything you’ve been raised to want in order to make your own way through life?

In the end, I think the answer comes down to priorities.

Nancy with monkey

We will make time and money for the things that are highest on our priority list.  I love to read and can curl up in bed and read until the wee hours of the night, but I haven’t hardly read at all lately.  Yes, I could make excuses and say I’m too busy or my boys demand all my time.  But the reality is that it isn’t high enough on my list.  In my free time, I choose to play with my beads or surf the internet rather than read a good book.

The same is true about traveling the world.  We will find a way to do what’s important to us.  If new floors in our house is more important than a family vacation, we get new floors.  If a new couch is higher on the priority list than bicycles, we get the couch.  And if taking an extended family vacation is of the utmost importance, that’s exactly what we’ll get.

Davy scuba diving

Our extended journey didn’t just fall in our laps one day – we made it happen.  We looked at our lives and at the limited amount of time we had on Planet Earth.  We looked at our sons and realized that they were growing fast and we only had one chance at this parenthood thing.  In short, if we didn’t do it now, we would lose the opportunity.

So we made it happen.

We quit our jobs.  We packed up our house.  We bought new bicycles.  We headed out to see the world with our sons.

Vogel family in Colombia

Traveling with our boys had become our number one priority and we made it happen.  Yes, there were a million reasons not to take this trip – we didn’t have enough money, our house needed work, our careers would suffer, a trip like this wasn’t what society expected us to do…  But all we really needed was one good reason to take the trip – and time with the boys was that reason.

So how can you live your dreams?  Make it your highest priority.  Make the decision to do it and let people know what you’ll do.  Then take steps to get there.  It’ll happen – if you make it happen. Consider how to travel more.

kids in Cuzco, Peru

, ,

15 Responses to How can you live your dream?

1. Cherie @Technomadia February 8, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Bravo! Well said.

So many folks give us excuse after excuse for why they’re not out there traveling like they’d like. And it all really comes down to them not making it a priority.

It’s amazing how many things that once seemed like huge obstacles become just small speed bumps once you put your mind towards it.

2. Barb Crain February 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Do you think you’ll want to plan another bicycling adventure when you’re through with this one? I’d love to know what you’ll do next.

3. nancy February 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Barb – we really don’t know what we’ll do next. We plan to go to Boise for at least six months while we think about what we WANT to do in the future. It may very well be that we continue traveling. But we’re open to everything – travel part time (maybe 6 months/6 months) or staying home or living in another country or….

We are in a very unique situation where we really can do whatever we want – so we have to figure out what we want!

4. kimberly February 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Another brilliant post Nancy. Do you mind if I put it in the march issue?

5. Allison Suter February 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

I’ve been reading your blog for several months now, and I have not yet (I don’t think) commented.

I just wanted to let you know that I think what you are doing is amazing. As a SINK and then as a DINK I’ve taken two career breaks and have gone exploring on extended trips; but I always wondered what would become of me when I one day have children.

You have given me so much inspiration; I no longer feel like kids will make me stop adventuring, but instead will become an integral part of those adventures.

Truly, my most heartfelt thanks for some life altering inspiration.

6. Diego February 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

Well said.

Clap, clap, clap!

7. Katherine Jenkins February 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

Awesome! So glad to find your blog here…don’t know if I sent the previous comment I typed so I’m sending another…love it! and I shared it! I also have a blog and a book coming out…hope we can connect!

8. Amy February 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

Love it! If you are still thinking of traveling, have you thought of Asia? You could come visit us! Its cheap, lots of culture, friendly, great weather…….

9. Angela February 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Very inspiring post, so true. Often it’s easier to find excuses than to actually live our dream. And we inevitably end up being frustrated and unhappy.
    Life is full of difficulties, either if we stick to our routine or if we take the risk in order to fulfill our dream, so why not just to follow what we want most?
    Well done, a pleasure to read you.

10. mrbill February 9, 2011 at 10:06 am #

I guess yu do need to get moving, winter in Tecka,

11. Kathy February 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Beautifully written, Nancy! So many people have told me “I wish that I could do that” (not just with traveling, but with pursuing ANY dream that they might have), but then they will rattle off ten “reasons” why they CAN’T. As you said, the reality is that if you really want something, then you make it a priority–you start planning, saving, and doing whatever else you need to do to made that dream a reality. I believe that the main reason people don’t pursue their dreams is fear–fear of the unknown, fear of failure, fear of discomfort, and perhaps a fear that the reality of the dream might not live up to the expectation.

Anyway, kudos to you and your family for living your dream. I know that you are an inspiration for many people!

12. Michael Robertson February 9, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Distlled down and well put.

1. How to Take an Extended Family Vacation - April 21, 2011

[...] How can you live your dream? [...]

2. How to afford long term family travel - April 22, 2011

[...] How can you live your dream? [...]

3. Day 9 – A Little Cheating Never Hurt | Spiritual Girl's Guide To Living - February 23, 2012

[...] In the meantime, I will share with you that I read this blog from an author I happened upon and it was about living one’s dream. The woman who wrote it drove with her family from Alaska to Argentina!  I mean, she has to know something about living a dream. What she shares is that if living a dream is important to us, we will make it a priority.   (For the full article, visit: http://familyonbikes.org/blog/2011/02/how-can-you-live-your-dream/) [...]