Why are people afraid to travel?

I don’t know why people are so afraid to travel.  The world is a wonderful place. Too bad there are so many Americans that don’t know that.

People in America are taught to fear other countries. The only things the news covers from other countries are bad.  Never anything good. The world is not a war in Iraq.  In fact, my guess is that America has more crime than most other countries.

Most people in countries other than America are good people, but Americans don’t realize that.  They are too afraid to go and find out for themselves.  In reality, the world is a good place.

I don’t know why Americans are so afraid to travel.  If they saw what I’ve seen, they wouldn’t be scared any more and the world could finally have peace.

by Davy Vogel, age 11

17 Responses to Why are people afraid to travel?

1. Rachel Hugens October 31, 2009 at 9:08 am #

David,
    My husband is Dutch and cycled around the world…he says the scariest place was cycling in Florida.
    Perhaps you can be the catalyst to change this perception, starting with the young.

2. Terri Suggs October 31, 2009 at 9:16 am #

Hi Davy!

You’re right….the world is a wonderful place and filled with more wonderful people than evil. Unfortunately, most people simply cannot afford ($ or time) to do what you are doing, so I love that you are sharing your experiences here! The world can learn from you! Thank you and keep up the great work! -Terri

3. Anne Fletcher October 31, 2009 at 11:09 am #

Davy – you rock! If only more “mature” people shared your view of the world, we’d have a much happier, healthier planet. Keep up the good work and thank your folks for giving you this opportunity – and for sharing your lives with all of us around the world following your journey.

Good luck with your unguis incarnatus :-)

4. Pat & Cat Patterson October 31, 2009 at 6:15 pm #

Davy….You are so RIGHT ON!!! I (Pat) have been around the world twice. Visited more than 100 countries. Cat has cycled and been in more than 70. We totally agree, people everywhere are pretty uch the same, including kids. We all want a better life for our families, especially our kids. RIDE ON DAVY!!!!!

5. Kathy Hensley October 31, 2009 at 10:24 pm #

Excellent question, Davy! Our family wonders the exact same thing. We continue to follow your adventures, and appreciate your keen insight.

Best wishes to you and your amazing family!

6. Will November 1, 2009 at 6:38 am #

Great post Davey….I really think people should experience things for themselves rather than take the media’s or the government’s word for anything.

7. Will November 1, 2009 at 6:39 am #

D’oh…misspelled your name, sorry!

8. Steve November 1, 2009 at 10:12 am #

Great post, Davy. Your trip is a great example of the adventures people can have when they travel.

In particular, I think Latin America is a wonderful place, with lots of terrific history, people and (especially) food! I look forward to following the rest of your journey.

Steve

9. nancy November 1, 2009 at 11:58 am #

Thanks all! I’ll pass your comments on to Davy. He is such a special kid and really does have an amazing view of the world!

10. Donna November 1, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

Love your post Davy, hope you are getting some pizza :-) Miss you guys, hope we see you all in Hawaii in 2011. Hugs, Donna, Richard, Odo and Little Fox

11. John Higham November 1, 2009 at 6:15 pm #

I hope to be able to meet you and your family some day. May the rest of your travels be safe and healthy!

All the best,

John Higham

12. John Higham November 1, 2009 at 6:20 pm #

Davy,

Somehow most of my post got lost, so let me try one more time.

I look forward to reading your posts and getting e-mails from your mom. I tell people about your amazing journey all the time.

I was sad to hear about the trouble you are having with your toes and your mom with her back. As funny as it sounds, years from now you will look back and realize that these experiences were some of the best moments of your trip.

How do I know that? Personal experience.

I agree with your assessment of the world. If I may, I’d like to share you the opening line from a book I wrote about traveling. “Travel can change you, and it can change the world.”

All the best,

John Higham

13. Mohamed Shedou November 2, 2009 at 10:51 am #

Very true and beautiful. I speak 3 languages and find it a blessing to be able to be exposed to different cultures, and I have always felt that people are really the same everywhere. The variety of our Earth should be beautiful amnd interesting not something scary!

14. Evelyn November 3, 2009 at 6:00 am #

Great post Davy! Maybe someday there will be peace.

15. David Hawke November 13, 2009 at 4:34 am #

Great insight Davy. I am Canadian traveling in asia &wondering the same!

16. mrbill December 17, 2009 at 1:11 pm #

Hello All,

I’ve travelled all thru Mexico and Central America, I’ve been to Europe, Australia, spent one and a half yrs in Viet Nam and I’ve never feared travelling BUT when a friend of mine and I were hiking in Peru and were held up a gunpoint, it did make me nervous. There are some photos of some of my travels on my website, Peru included as a matter of fact I have pictures of the hike on which we were robbed.
    Take care and the best to yall, mrbill.

1. uberVU - social comments - November 2, 2009

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by familyonbikes: A child’s perspective on world peace: http://familyonbikes.org/blog/?p=1156