One Year on the Road

As I think back upon this year on the road, I see fleeting glimpses of images rolling beneath my wheels:

* the sheer beauty of snow-lined Atigun Pass
* Arctic Circle sign
* Santa Claus
* entering Canada – our first crossing
* buffalo, bears, and bighorn sheep
* the end of the Alaska Highway – 1,422 miles from the beginning
* the American flag at the border
* waking up to a couple of inches of snow on the tent
* the hiss and gurgle of steam vents and geysers in Yellowstone
* trick-or-treating in small town America
* inches of dust piled up inside the tent during a sandstorm
* being escorted through each and every Mexican city by the local motorcycle clubs
* visiting Mayan ruins and climbing to the tippy top of the temples
* getting off the beaten track in Belize to explore pristine jungles and rivers
* snorkeling the second largest coral reef in the world
* reuniting with my Peace Corps family after 22 years away

It’s been a wild ride. We’ve ground up mountains and plummeted back down the other side. We’ve gotten soaked by rain, frozen in snow, and sweltered in unfathomable heat. We’ve bounced and jiggled over rough roads and raced over roads as smooth as silk. And yet, through it all, we’ve lived life to the fullest and taken advantage of every moment we have here on this planet.

Yes – there have been challenges. We’ve pushed our heavy bikes up impossible grades in extraordinary heat as thick clouds of dust swirled about our heads. We’ve reached for water bottles only to find the water within frozen solid. We’ve battled headwinds and fought for each inch of forward motion we managed to make.

But when I think back upon this past year, it’s not the challenges that come to mind. It’s the many, many days of smooth sailing that I remember. It’s those moments when I crest the top of the hill and gaze upon miles and miles of valley ahead and my breath gets all tangled up in my throat at the sheer magnificence of it all. Or when a massive bison runs alongside us with his thundering hooves kicking up little clouds of dust and we pedal faster and faster in order to keep up with the beast but in the end he outruns us anyway. Or when a family who has next to nothing graciously offers to share it with us and we feel guiltier than hell taking their food but know all along that we can’t possibly decline. Or when Davy snuggles up next to me in the tent after a tough day on the road, puts his arm around my chest, gazes into my eyes, and says, “I love you, Mom.”

It’s the many people we’ve encountered who have brought nothing but magic to our lives and I pray that God will bless them all. May God bless the man who dragged us to his house in order to give us a new tire after John’s developed a mystery bubble. And God, heap blessings upon the woman who brought us a big plate of tacos even though all we ordered was Sprite. And bless the tour guide who handed over all the leftover food from his tour – including beer and chocolate. And bless, too, the couple who invited us to their RV for our evening meal so we had a sheltered place to wait out a downpour. And God – please bless the family who adopted us as their own and wouldn’t allow us to stay in our hotel “all alone” all day so we got to spend a delightful three days watching all the comings and goings of a typical Mexican family. And bless as well all those people who sent us emails after John’s accident offering us a place to stay or the use of their car or an invitation to a play group. God bless the cattle rancher who said he had more than enough money and simply wanted to share a bit of it with us.

It’s watching my boys grow and change and mature before my very eyes that makes this journey so special. It’s seeing the triumph in their eyes when they crest the toughest pass yet or when they finally break their personal record. It’s watching Daryl joke and laugh with Daddy as he revels in riding on the back of the tandem or hearing Davy expounding on the advantages of riding solo. It’s knowing that, no matter what may come in the future, my boys have learned life lessons from the road that will carry them through all the ups and downs of their lives.

Yes – it’s been a wild ride, and we know more wild times are coming. But we’ll take it one day at a time; one mile after another. With each pedal stroke we’ll see more of this grand world of ours, meet more of her wonderful people, and learn more than we ever could have imagined. It’ll be crazy and mad and zany and wacky all rolled into one. But it’ll also be the most incredible, mind-boggling, fantastically phenomenal journey of all – just like the past year has been.

16 Responses to One Year on the Road

1. Grand Canyon Harry June 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm #

I feel so very privileged to have been a very small part of your adventure. I will never forget the few days you spent with me in November. I also will never forget the many hours of entertainment with your blog and videos. Keep it up, love & kisses and all that sloppy stuff.

Harry

2. nancy June 8, 2009 at 4:22 pm #

Harry – it is US who should feel privileged to have had the honor of spending a few days with you!! Thanks again for everything – you are a wonderful man!

3. Mike Vermeulen June 8, 2009 at 4:37 pm #

Congratulations on passing this one year milestone and thank you for allowing us to travel along vicariously. My longest cycle tour was only 365 days long, so you have me jealous, though dreaming & scheming of my own trips to come as well…

4. Inanna Mama June 8, 2009 at 6:02 pm #

Wow! I’ve been following you from the beginning and your journey has been so amazing! I can’t believe it’s been a year already. Congratulations! Your summary of the year touched me so much. Looking forward to following you to the tip of S. America!! Peace, blessings and safe travels.

5. Kristi Faull June 8, 2009 at 8:58 pm #

I am very much enjoying my second “trip” with your family. I often tell Nick about your latest adventure (or misadventure as the case may be). I’ve shared many of your stories with my family.

6. Terry and Kelly June 8, 2009 at 9:59 pm #

Congratulations for one year on the road! We have followed along with you every day, Terry is happy that you are in the land of “parrot’s and monkey’s”

You have been an inspiration for us, we hope to one day soon “throw the dock lines” and take off for a year in the RV ..not as adventurous as you with the bikes but a big leap for us!

Good Luck for the next year and safe travels,

Kelly and Terry from Canada

7. Lou Ann June 8, 2009 at 10:54 pm #

I enjoyed your essay/entry. What a remarkable adventure you are taking us on! I’m in Austin, Texas, right now with my first grandson–Elijah Daniel is 6 days old now.

8. Rodney June 8, 2009 at 11:01 pm #

I’ve been telling my mother about you guys since the beginning. My mother has been reading since Brownsville and between us, we tell three other people.

9. nancy June 9, 2009 at 8:08 am #

Thanks everyone! We are just about ready to head south – it looks like John’s thumb is significantly better and he should be able to ride. We’ll find out in a few mintues if that’s true!

LowAnn – CONGRATS!!!!

10. Martha June 9, 2009 at 10:17 am #

Let me say THANK YOU for sharing this with us.

11. April June 10, 2009 at 12:16 am #

I have followed your adventures right from the beginning, when you were just planning and packing. Each day I look for your blog entries, and have to admit your blog is my favorite.

I’m so proud of you guys!!! Congrats on 1 year ! :) Sending many prayers and blessings your way.

Hugs,

April

12. Jonathan June 10, 2009 at 11:53 am #

Year of journey done
    With mom, dad and son and son
    More earth soon to come

Congrats on another year of living and learning and growing and sharing!

13. Rachel Hugens June 10, 2009 at 5:19 pm #

This is a wonderful thing that you all do. Congratulations!!

14. Kathryn June 10, 2009 at 5:29 pm #

Congratulations on the completion of one year of a fabulous adventure! My sister and I keep tabs on you so that if one is away from her computer the other can relay news of the latest episode. May love, blessings, and safety remain with you.

15. Karen Littlefield June 11, 2009 at 10:21 am #

Hi guys, I was very moved reading your blog for the past year. I know I’ll never go as far as you on my bike (20 miles if all I can handle). But it is so enlightening and fun to read about your adventures and thoughts. I hope we can see you in LI next year.

16. nancy June 11, 2009 at 2:25 pm #

Thanks to you all – from Costa Rica!! We crossed the border a couple hours ago and are now in the small town of La Cruz! It feels good to be here at last!