Goodbye North America! (Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico)

It’s funny how those major milestones can get lost when you are smack dab in the middle of them…

Yesterday I was simply so plum thrilled to get off my bike for a day that I failed to recognize the significance of getting here – to Chetumal, to the border with Belize.  As I lay in bed last night trying to fall asleep, I realized it -

WE’VE NOW CROSSED A WHOLE CONTINENT!!!!  YAHOO!!!  YIPPEE SKIPPY!!!

It’s strange to think we’ve pedaled the entire length of North America from the tippy top to the blazing bottom.  We’ve pedaled all 12,000 km of the continent, we’ve spent about 200 nights sleeping in our tent by the side of the road, and have consumed more granola bars than I can count.  But we did it!  We made it to Chetumal!!

13 Responses to Goodbye North America! (Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico)

1. Ellen March 14, 2009 at 12:32 pm #

Congrats. We’ll wait to watch your video tonight. My son SO looks forward to the vidoes by you and the boys.
    Ellen

2. Linda March 14, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

That’s a fabulous accomplishment!

I hope you’ll pat yourselves on the back for meeting all the various challenges. Most “lesser” families would have imploded long ago.

I’ve made many trips to Mexico in the past 30 yrs. and enjoyed your videos and pics of the ancient ruins and local towns along your journey.

Stay safe and load up on water… Belize isn’t going to be any cooler (sorry, Nancy)! We were there in April (a few years ago) and I thought my brain was going to fry. ;)

3. nancy March 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

Yeah, I know it’s not going to get cooler for a loonngggg ways. I wouldn’t mind the heat alone – but coupled with steep hills and killer headwinds it’s a beast to reckoned with!

4. Jonathan March 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm #

Congratulations to all of you!

Looking forward to your next legs the journey.

At least you can be thankful – due to that nice little earth tilt thing – that you will be moving into fall instead of more into summer (eventually).

The only stat that I didn’t see that I am curious about is the total number of “Are we there yet?” comments made… including those from John and the boys. ;.)

5. nancy March 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm #

Are we there yet?? Are you kidding?!?! Davy never asks that – he just asks how far we’ve traveled – about every 500 meters. And how far we’re planning to go that day. We really need to get that kid his own odometer…

6. Bill March 14, 2009 at 5:45 pm #

Congratulations! You have done something very few people will or have ever accomplished.

Tell your son he did a really fine job hosting your latest video. I teach a high school film class and he did better than most of my high school students! Keep up the good work Davey!

7. Carys March 15, 2009 at 11:21 am #

Congrats. It is amazing to see the map with the line ALL the way through North America!

8. nancy March 15, 2009 at 11:24 am #

Thanks Bill! We are really proud of hte boys – they’re doing a great job!

Carys – it’s funny you mentioned that. I sat there looking at that line last night thinking the exact same thing!

9. Rodney March 15, 2009 at 10:31 pm #

Teach Davy how to keep track of distance by using kilometer posts. Just like the US interstate system uses mile markers, highways like MX 307 use markers every km to keep track of distance. For MX307 KP zero is in Chetumal and the KP’s get higher as you go north – up to about 360 in Cancun.

10. Nelson Cordoba March 16, 2009 at 3:17 pm #

Felicitaciones

los estamos esperando y
    que bien
    ya en centroamerica
    espero que Dios los siga
    bendiciendo

atentamente
    Dino (9)

11. Kevin Fitzgerald March 17, 2009 at 12:37 pm #

Hi! I’m so thankful that you’ve made it to this landmark in your journey! I’m also thankful for the good people who have been there for you all through Mexico. May your journey through Central America be safe and may you become even more acclimated to the heat.
    Oh, by the way, happy St. Patrick’s Day!
    -=Kevin J. Fitzgerald=-

12. Rangun March 17, 2009 at 11:13 pm #

Hola viejo de Rangún. Usted está haciendo un buen progreso. ¿Cuándo va a ser en Guatemala? Si coincide con mis vacaciones de verano, sólo podría unirse allí. Yo siempre estoy pensando en todos ustedes.

13. nancy March 18, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

I can’t say thank you enough for all people have done for us! It’s been truly humbling to see this side of humanity.

Rangun – Esperamos llegar en Guatemala por Tikal en como 3 o 4 dias. De alli, vamos a it a Puerto Barrios and despues a Honduras!