Left or Right? (Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada)

“OK guys, it’s time for a Pow-Wow.”

I gathered the boys around and explained the situation.

“We can turn right here and go up and over Crowsnest Pass, which isn’t all that bad.  That way we skirt Glacier National Park.  If we turn left, we’re commited to going through Glacier and over a 6600-foot pass.  It’ll be a long, cold, steep climb – and it might be raining.  What do you think?”

“Glacier!” Daryl shouted.  “Glacier!  Glacier!  Glacier!”

“Davy – what do you say?” I asked.

Davy chimed in with Daryl, “Glacier! Glacier! Glacier!”

We turned left.

We were well on our way to crossing the border today (or, at the very least, tomorrow morning).  But then we saw the storm forming off in the distance and decided we’d better call it a day.

The forecast is calling for heavy rain starting this afternoon and all night, so we called it quits for the day and headed to the campground here in Pincher Creek.  With any luck, we’ll cross the border tomorrow.

11 Responses to Left or Right? (Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada)

1. Inanna Mama September 6, 2008 at 1:43 pm #

Have a wonderful trip back into the US!! Are you planning to come thru Colorado, per chance?

2. nancy September 6, 2008 at 1:58 pm #

We will possibly pass through the very western part of Colorado, so we plan to stay mostly in Utah as we move south. However, I will admit we haven’t looked at the map for that area closely – we don’t even have one with us right now. We’ll try to pick something up once we get into Montana and figure out our route.

3. Inanna Mama September 6, 2008 at 2:08 pm #

Drat! Was hoping to meet up with you if you were coming down the eastern side of the Rockies. I’ll just have to continue winging good wishes to you virtually :-)

4. TulipGirl September 6, 2008 at 4:16 pm #

Your boys sure are adventurous!

You’ll love UT, if you haven’t been through before. My uncle lived in Moab for years, and I have lots of great memories at Canyonlands and Arches, where my aunt was a ranger.

5. Kelly and Terry September 6, 2008 at 5:14 pm #

Glad to hear you are almost back in the USA. We have been following you every day!
    Good luck on the next part of your journey.

6. Nancy September 6, 2008 at 10:43 pm #

Let me know if you are planning on passing through Oakley, Utah. My Dad has a super duper ranch there with horses and I am sure that he would make you guys super comfortable for a day or two!

I love following your journey, it really is a great learning experience even for me!

7. Greg September 7, 2008 at 7:29 am #

USA! USA! USA!
    Welcome “Home”

8. Greg September 7, 2008 at 7:34 am #

Oh… I hope you have your passports… You could be a band of bicycling terrorists with panniers full of explosives.
    ;->

9. Explore Academy September 7, 2008 at 1:40 pm #

I was nominated for a Brillante Blog award and had to nominate 7 other blogs. So I did! You are on my list. If you want to get the logo for your blog, go to the bottom right corner of mine. Thanks for the fun adventure! And, good luck!

10. Nomadic Matt September 9, 2008 at 10:56 pm #

any pictures of this glacier?

11. nancy September 10, 2008 at 5:05 pm #

Thanks everyone!! It feels great to be back in the USA again!!