A Couple of Hours Left

We’re taking off in 2 1/2 hours.  I’ve got a tight little bundle of nerves wound up around the pit of my stomach.  We’ll know in a couple of hours how check-in went.

I’ll update again as soon as I can – most likely Fairbanks the last week of June.

18 Responses to A Couple of Hours Left

1. Craig V June 8, 2008 at 8:21 am #

GO VOGELS GO!!! Best wishes and tailwinds!

2. Iggy June 8, 2008 at 10:34 am #

My Family and I will be in prayer for you and your family. Congratulations on having the courage to take these steps towards a truly life forming / changing experience. My family and I will be following your long journey and rooting for you and your family.

3. Inanna June 8, 2008 at 3:41 pm #

I’ve been away on a mini adventure myself (New Orleans for my first academic conference as a presenter). Congratulations on all the progress you’ve made to get you on that plane today and I’ll be wishing you well and watching with anticipation as I share this exciting journey with you virtually. May all go smoothly and pleasantly from the Bay to Fairbanks and beyond!

4. Jennilyn June 9, 2008 at 6:52 am #

Wishing you the best of luck with the pesky airlines! It is Monday the 9th, so hopefully you’re in Alaska with all of your luggage arriving safely along with you. Very exciting!
    I just realized, as a side note, that I read about you in the Hudson/St-Lazare Gazette!! I was looking around your website and that’s how I came across the story and my memory reappeared.
    Again, Good Luck and I’m looking forward to reading more along the way!

5. Joan June 9, 2008 at 7:49 am #

The weatherman says is 29 degrees and snowing in Prudhoe Bay, but 51 in Fairbanks. Peddle quickly and you’ll be back to a warmer climate!! Take care, wishing you a wonderful journey.

6. Amy June 10, 2008 at 12:37 pm #

I’ll be thinking of you…best of luck with the airlines and the beginning of a wonderful adventure. I read through your last trip and have been anxiously waiting to read about this one.

7. Christine Gilbert June 11, 2008 at 11:45 am #

Good luck! I can’t wait to find out how it goes!

8. Evelyn June 12, 2008 at 8:52 pm #

It may be a bit chilly in Prudhoe Bay and Fairbanks, but would you believe snow in Idaho in June. There were a couple of inches of snow in McCall the other day. The weather here has been in the 60′s. The weekend looks like 85 degrees then back down to the 70′s. Wishing you safe travels.

9. Tom June 12, 2008 at 10:16 pm #

Status Update – I just returned from visiting with the Vogels. They are all well and are 3 days into the adventure, between 90 and 100 miles south of Prudhoe Bay and currently camping at the base of “Ice Cut Hill’ on the Haul Road. The weather is great, very few bugs and other than the bikes getting bumped from the flight out of Arizona, my novice experience tells me that things appear to be going well.

This report is coming from my work location, Alyeska Pipeline Pump Station #3, 12 miles south of the current Vogel camp.

Best of luck with the trip over Atigun Pass!

10. Peter Ratcliffe June 13, 2008 at 5:39 am #

I’m checking regularly to see when you surface from the wilderness. You’ll read this when you find “civilization” and some internet. I hope you’ve had a great start to your journey and that all equipment and riders are in working shape. Most of all I’m hoping you’re enjoying feeling very very tiny in the universe and very very big in life. What I most love about you guys is you don’t turn a record into a race, but take your time along the way. Enjoy and marvel.

11. Beth Sloan (sloan127) June 13, 2008 at 11:14 am #

We are all missing you on the Homeschool Spot. Can’t wait to hear how you are doing. Stay safe.

12. Kathryn June 13, 2008 at 5:20 pm #

May there be adequate road angels along the 20,000 miles. Folks who help you will be richly blessed when you share some of yourselves with them. Godspeed!

13. Nancy June 14, 2008 at 3:35 pm #

Oh! You guys are on the move!!! Good luck putting the bikes together.
    Be safe and take lots of pictures!
    I can’t wait to read an update.

14. Theresa June 14, 2008 at 3:49 pm #

Good luck and prayers for safe travel and health as you begin and complete your adventure.

15. Nomadic Matt June 15, 2008 at 7:27 am #

GOOD LUCK!!

16. Barbara June 15, 2008 at 2:07 pm #

I can hardly wait for the ‘journey log’ to begin! I so enjoyed the daily read from your last trip. I hope we have the pleasure of hosting you when you travel through Mexico (next year)! As we say in Mexico ‘Bueno Suerte’ (Good Luck)!

17. Julee Shamhart June 16, 2008 at 1:09 pm #

Hello Nancy! We met on the Prudhoe oil field tour to the ocean and I wanted to wish you and your family the best for your trip. I hope your travels down the Haul road were fabulous and I look forward to reading about the rest of your trip!

18. Cactuswendy June 19, 2008 at 5:02 pm #

Just so you know someone is thinking about you guys. Hope all is well and am looking forward to your news.

Wendy from AW